The Committee on Public Service and County Administration has conducted public hearings on the Kakamega County Community Service Coordination Bill,2019.
The Bill seeks to create county community structures and village councils, which shall be the smallest units in governance structure of the county government.
The Bill is sponsored by the County Government.The committee presented the proposed law to Citizens to give their input as it is mandated by law.
The object and purpose of this Act is to provide for the management and coordination of devolved functions at the community area level by the community area administrator and the community area council.
COMMUNITY AREA COUNCIL
4. (1) The community area council established under section 16(1) of the Kakamega County Decentralized Units (Amendment) Act, 2016 shall be responsible for coordination and implementation of the County devolved functions at the community area level.
5(1) Each community area council shall have the following
(b) water and environment;
(c) roads and infrastructure ;
(d) education and governance; and
(2) The community area administrator shall appoint each of the respective members of the community area council to be chairperson of one of the community area sub-committees.
(3) In making the appointments under sub-section (2), the community area administrator shall ensure that each of the members of the community area council appointed as chairperson of a community area sub-committee has relevant experience.
(4)The community area administrator shall co-opt four other persons with relevant experience to each of the sub-committees referred to in sub-section (1)
(5) The persons referred to in sub-section (4) shall be ex-officio members of the community area council.
(6) The community area administrator shall ensure that co-opted members are paid such allowances as may be determined by the executive committee.
6. (1)In addition to the functions provided for under section 17 of the Kakamega County Decentralized Units (Amendment) Act, 2016 the community area council shall be responsible for-
(a) coming up with the community area development plan;
(b) developing and implementing the community area action plan;
(c) implementing of the devolved functions at the community area level;
(d) monitoring the implementation of county policies at the community area level;
(e)collecting and collating through public participation community needs and report through established administrative structures for implementation; and
(f) carrying out any other function necessary for the better administration of the devolved functions at the community area level.
The Bill is on our website :
Members of the public and other stakeholders across the County gave their views on Wednesday.